On the way home tonight I plugged my iPod in, selected my “Favorites” playlist (all songs with 4 or 5 stars, almost 1,000 songs) and hit shuffle. This isn’t the first time this has happened, but it is the first time I’m taking note. Every song that played seemed as though it was hand-selected for me tonight.
1) Pardon Me – Incubus
2) Come in Closer – Blue October
3) Infiltrate – Worth Dying For
4) Best Thing I Never Had – Beyonce
5) Lost+ – Coldplay (off of Prospekt’s March)
6) Thinking of You – Future of Forestry
7) (If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To – Weezer
8 ) What If – Coldplay
9) After Your Heart – Phil Wickham
10) Let Love In – The Goo Goo Dolls
11) Seasons of Love – Rent Original Broadway Cast
12) Tonight, Tonight – The Smashing Pumpkins
13) Pins and Needles – Billy Talent
14) Set Fire To The Rain – Adele
Now, you may wonder what the message was on some of these. I’ll attempt to give a short summary as I’m rather exhausted at this point.
1) The entire song is essentially where I’m at; 23, fed up with the world, overwhelmed by life.
2) Having the desire of someone there, but the batch of wedding roses have been thrown away.
3) I’m going through life, this is my place and I’ll stand firm for my life.
4) Heh… I saw things I didn’t like and so I cut them out. I thought I found ‘forever’ but then things happened and I’m better off without… *sigh*
5) I may be in a really hard place – but that doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s happening or how to handle myself.
6) Don’t be afraid to go out and find all that’s out there.
7) This was the subject of one of the e-mails I sent my ex while we were on opposite coasts… Tonight though I really listened to the lyrics. Somewhere out there is one who will take one for the team and respect me enough to ask my parents permission before proposing.
8 ) This is what it feels and looks like when you don’t want someone by your side or in your life anymore… It’s sad, haunting and so full of hurt.
9) I know what I’m in the midst of, but I will always turn praise and affection to my God.
10) A person is so beautiful when they allow love in their life. Why keep that from the world? Be open to the love of your family and friends. Over time someone will come along who loves the love you emit.
11) Why bother measuring life in any other way than the love that is shared?
12) Life is always changing, don’t be afraid, it’s great and amazing – every day you learn more. Believe in yourself, and believe in those who love you.
13) This song was just added to my list this morning, and I find it more fitting for him to have it in his library than myself… He could have written it, I wouldn’t be surprised if he were to learn it at some point.
14) Precisely how I feel – word for word – about the relationship… Such a strong, emotional and incredible song. Here’s the song in case you’ve (somehow) never heard it.